So we have local elections on the 2nd May for District and Town, Parish Councils across the district. Below are some of the key dates and on this Grand National weekend, details of the runners and riders.
On Thursday 2nd May it is up to you to identify the thoroughbreds to appoint and the old nags to retire…
This year I am standing down and welcome Tony Denton, a Horndean resident and successful young businessman as the candidate to stand in Downs ward where he also lives.
At this time we also remember Cllr Nigel Wren from Clanfield who passed away just over a week ago. Arthur Agate, a Clanfield Resident, is standing in Nigels place.
Cllr Elaine Tickell who represented Hazleton Blendworth ward is also standing down and deserves acknowledgement too for work in the village centre and on LEOH from her community with Christopher Hatter standing in her place.
One plea – Don’t blame the candidates in these elections for the pantomime that is going on in Westminster at the moment. It is not in their control (our councillor candidates as well as the government…) and as well as being disheartened by it like everyone else it is important that the local Councils are well represented by competent people who are committed to delivering local issues and doing so well for the next 4 years.
Key Dates (The Hurdles On The Course):
- 4th April – List of candidates announced
- 12 April – Issue of first postal ballot packs
- 12 April midnight- Deadline for receipt of voter registration
- 15 April – Update on list of candidates (removes any who have withdrawn)
- 15 April 17:00 – Deadline for changes of address or postal ballot application
- 18 April – final issue of postal ballot packs
- 25 April – Publication of final notice of elections (following any final withdrawals)
- 2 May 07:00 – Polling Stations Open.
Changes to the course!
- Ward Boundaries have changed to all wards following a periodic review to balance the house numbers in each ward. Some of Catherington Lovedean has gone to Downs and Murray. there are changes across the district – see earlier post for a copy of the map.
- Kings and Hazleton Blendworth wards have merged into one ward with two Councillors so you will need to vote for two candidates in this ward. The new ward is called Kings and Blendworth.
- Polling stations have been moved – for example Downs is no longer in a local restaurant but a church hall.
Full Disclosure or anonymity?
This year candidates are for the first time able to withhold their address from the public register. The disadvantage is we do not then know if the candidate we are considering even lives in the local community. It also is not very transparent. You can only effectively represent the ward if you live in the community.
On the Runners and Riders list below I have noted the address or if this has been withheld. I am very happy to update this for any candidate with a witheld address if they contact me with details and proof of address.
Runners and Riders!
The First Trophy!
As an unopposed candidate Cllr Sara Schillemore who has represented Catherington Lovedean since 1999 is returned without an election.
Please contact me if there is any inaccuracy or if you are a candidate wishing their address to be updated and I will be very happy to revise the post.
Parish Council Elections:
Rowlands Castle and Horndean Parish Councils had their members returned and voted in without contest. Clanfield sees an election.
Horndean Parish Council – Elected Candidates
- Elaine Tickell
- David Evans
- Richard Veitch
- Carolyne Jacobs
- David Alexander
Kings and Blendworth Ward:
- Lynn Evans
- Irene Weeks
- Paul Beck
Horndean Murray Ward:
- Andy Forbes
- John Lay
Clanfield Parish Council – Candidates For Election
- John Bannell
- Rosemary Clarke
- Laurent Coffre
- Terry Collins
- Stephen D’Este Hoare
- Brian Foster
- David Harris
- Peter Hurst
- Sally Thomas
- Margaret White
- Stephen Williams
Rowlands Castle Parish Council – Elected candidates:
- Colin Ball
- Michael Cross
- Liz Lonmgman
- Jon Moss
- Chris Stanley
- Bill Wilson
Rowlands Castle Finchdean
- Andy Lee
A full list of the candidates are here May 2019 local elections