There is a car park at the end of Five Heads Road opposite The Spar but this spot has a World War 2 history which brought some devastation to the war time village.
It used to be the site of the parish hall until a damaged De Haviland Mosquito that had been chasing a V1 Rocket hit the roof and then crashed into the village near the brewery on the night of the 5th February 1945.
Photo – Parish Hall at the end of Five Heads Road with a repaired roof.
Both of the pilots were killed and for a little while Peter Barge representing the Australian Air Crew Memorial (Horndean) has been raising funds to place a memorial in the village near the site of the Parish Hall where the aircraft struck the roof before crashing. This has the support of the Parish Council, District Council, a number of Councillor Grants and a Heritage Lottery Funding bid.
Details are below and if you would like to support the charity then please contact Peter on the details below: